|Find out how to make this below! Mmmm|
Sun-Pat Smooth Peanut Spread - boasting 95% peanuts, it turns out that the other 5% is made up of: stabiliser (E471), cane sugar, peanut oil and sea salt.
Slightly bad news for vegans or Muslims - E471 is mainly produced from vegetable oils, although animal fats may be present. There is a chance of pork fat also being present; so E471 is best avoiding when you can't know for sure that it is entirely from from vegetable oil. There's sugar, which may or may not really need to be in there, but the good news is there's no palm oil!
Marks and Spencers' Crunchy Peanut Butter - only 91% peanuts in this one, with the rest being from sunflower oil, palm oil, cane sugar and sea salt.
You may remember that palm oil is best avoided as it causes massive environment destruction and human rights abuses, so I wasn't too thrilled when I noticed this!
Tesco Value Crunchy Peanut Butter, by far the most delicious (I think) and cheapest, contains only 87% peanuts, sunflower oil, dextrose, vegetable oil and salt.
Dextrose is another name for glucose, and is a type of sweetener made from plant starch. Vegetable oil could also be palm oil, as there's no requirement to label palm oil as such.
What you need:
Peanuts (ideally unsalted, in their skins)
A drizzle of honey
Optional - a splash of peanut (groundnut) oil
Step 1: Spread the peanuts onto a baking tray. DON'T use foil, as I did, because the peanuts will stick to itand take ages to remove! Drizzle some honey on them and place under a grill at around 120C for 10-15 minutes.
2: Remove and let cool for 5 miutes.
3. Throw into the food processor and switch it on! As with Cashew nut butter, the trick is to leave the food processor on for a minute or so, turn it off, scoop the peanuts back onto the blades and keep going. It will seem to take ages but eventually your mixture will start to become a little less like powder and more like butter.
4. If you're struggling, add a splash of peanut oil. This will make the blending process go a little more smoothly.
5. Pour into a cleaned out jar and enjoy! This particular peanut butter was smooth but a little gritty, which I came to really like. If you're struggling to spread it, you can add a little more oil or honey.